What is a Diode Laser?
A diode laser is a handheld device that releases a high concentration of light. This light delivers pulses of heat energy through a flexible optical fibre to the desired treatment area. The power of the laser can be finely adjusted to suit the procedure being performed. Because of the precision it provides, it allows dentists to be very conservative with their procedures.
A diode laser is an ideal piece of equipment for a wide range of dental procedures that involve soft tissues. Many of the procedures that it is frequently used for involve the vaporizing (ablating) of tissue. When performed with a scalpel, these procedures require that certain measures be taken to minimize the bleeding that occurs afterward. With a diode laser, your dentist is able to perform the procedure while controlling the bleeding at the same time. The reshaping of gums, removal of cavities, and multiple other types of dental procedures are all able to be performed very efficiently with the use of dental lasers.
Diode Laser Treatment by Dr. Yeung at Brewery Dental District
I use the Zolar Photon diode laser to provide my patients with as comprehensive a list of treatments as possible. I purchased it a few years ago, drawn by the fact that it can be used in a wide variety of procedures. While I don’t use it in every dental procedure I perform — I don’t consider myself a “laser dentist” — I find that it is extremely useful in certain dental situations and that I’m able to enhance the services I currently provide. I’ve used it for:
• Removing gum tissue around cavities that extend below the gums for proper access and visualization
• Controlling bleeding when taking impressions for crowns and other restorations
• Performing soft tissue crown lengthening for crowns that would otherwise extend very deep below the gums
• The reshaping of gum tissue in the smile zone for aesthetic reasons
• Exposing unerupted teeth
• Conducting an operculectomy, or removing the excess tissue covering partially erupted teeth, thus allowing for proper cleaning
• Treating canker sores to reduce their healing time
At Brewery District Dental, we have the dentistry expertise and the state-of-the-art dental devices and equipment to provide you with the dental solutions
you require. Call our office today if you have any questions regarding the diode laser or to schedule your next dental appointment.]]>